For the past years, hoverboards have been an evergrowing trend. The boards have evolved from being simple child toys to being all-terrain powerhouses with 10″ wheels. Nowadays, these boards serve multiple purposes. Not only will they make your friends swoon, they are actually also very handy for transportation and travel – even off road! The best off road hoverboard reaches a top speed of 12 MPH while going up to 12 miles on a single charge.
These off road hoverboards are gaining lots of traction lately. They’re much safer, faster and alot more durable than the regular boards. Perfect for both adults and children, these hoverboards easily outbattles challenging terrain and steep curves. They’re ideal for transportation as well as for having an absolute blast.
Below is an overview of the best boards of 2018 including their overall rating. These are the six boards we would recommend for all-terrain usage.
Top 6 Boards – Overview
|TOMOLOO V2 Eagle||12 MPH||12 Miles||29 Lbs||4.7/5||Buy|
|Halo Rover||12 MPH||12 Miles||32 Lbs||4.6/5||Buy|
|GT Rover GT8||12 MPH||10 Miles||42 Lbs||4.4/5||Buy|
|EPIKGO Sport Plus||12 MPH||10 Miles||31 Lbs||4.1/5||Buy|
|EPIKGO Classic||10 MPH||10 Miles||31 Lbs||4.1/5||Buy|
|SWAGTRON 6||10 MPH||10 Miles||33 Lbs||3.9/5||Buy|
The market for hoverboards is growing sy high pace making it difficult to pick the right board. Therefore, we have written down the key points to pay attention to when picking the right off road hoverboard.
Buying Considerations: All-Terrain Hoverboards
Safety is always the first concern while buying hoverboards. Since these boards run on batteries, occasional electrical mishaps are not uncommon. This mainly happens due to the faulty lithium-ion batteries used in the boards which can undergo overheating or even explosion in some cases. Due to this concern, a number of hoverboards have been pulled off the stocks, which basically leaves you with the safer ones. However, before buying a hoverboard, make sure that it has been approved of all the necessary legislations and subjected to various tests like the overheating test, overcharged test, and so on. Thankfully, all the boards in this review have been UL2272 Certified. This means that they’re safe to use. Zero battery concerns whatsoever.
Weight Limit and Coordination
Although there is no bar on who should be allowed to ride an off road hoverboard, they’re not safe for young children or the elderly. An off road hoverboard can catch up speeds of up to 12 MPH. Hence, if you fail to maintain a good coordination, you could easily go off stray and end up hitting a sidewalk edge or meeting with unexpected disasters. When it comes to weight, an average off road hoverboard can take 200 lbs. However, some hoverboards can support up to 420 lbs without it affecting the stability. A good example of this is the SWAGTRON T6 that allows for more than 400 lbs of support.
The build quality is one of the most important things to look out for when choosing the best off road hoverboard for your needs. The build quality would imply the material used for the frame, housing, and wheels. Metal wheels are always more favorable than plastic wheels and when it comes to the sophistication of the internal components; you should make it a point to learn about the efficiency and durability of the motors, sensors and other electronics.
An off road hoverboard is mostly subjected to rough use. Hence, anti-scratch bodies are ideal. Wheel covers and batteries with greater power retention are also a definite plus.
It is best to buy a board from a reputable brand. The companies reviewed in this post are all well-known for their great support. If you buy from another manufacturer, make sure to do your research. Find out if the manufacturer takes any ownership in case of faulty claims and whether or not they have functional customer support lines.
Batteries are the powerhouse for hoverboards. Charging time is therefore of critical importance. The off road hoverboard batteries usually take around 1 to 2 hours to get fully charged and last for about 2 hours at an optimum speed. They may, however, drain faster if you choose to go at a high speed along with the speakers turned on, if those are built into your board. During this time, the LED indicators can come handy. These allow you to keep a track of the battery level so that you can manage it accordingly. Some of the boards have handy smartphone apps that lets you keep a track of the battery levels as well. A strong and durable battery is crucial when picking the best off road hoverboard.
Speed and Range
An off road hoverboard can go at different speeds ranging from 2 MPH to 15 MPH. This will also to some extent be decided by the terrain and the weight of the rider. The range will, however, vary depending on how fast the battery is draining. Going at speeds of 10 MPH without the speakers could give you coverage of around 10 miles with one full charge. Consider whether you’ll be using the hoverboard for specific routes. Maybe you’ll be using it to and from work – make sure your target location is in range.
An off road hoverboard becomes more versatile if you are able to carry it around during your trips. The ones weighing in between 20 to 30 lbs could be ideal for this. These are strong enough to withstand a good amount of stress and strain while also not being too heavy. You will also not be compromising on the torque and power. The hoverboards that come with their own carry case would be even more convenient.
Many areas place a strict band on certain electric rideable irrespective of their size or purpose of use. You should, therefore, make it a point to check out the legislations so that your money does not go wasted. You would definitely not want your vehicle to get confiscated or be slapped with a hefty fine.
Best Off Road Hoverboard of 2018 – Top 6 Reviews
1. TOMOLOO V2 Eagle Off Road Hoverboard
The TOMOLOO V2 Eagle has taken the market with storm. Though it is a new addition to the already established market, it has already marked its place as the best off road hoverboard. Here’s why.
Most Important Features of the TOMOLOO V2 Eagle
- This off road hoverboard is powered by a 350 watt motor that can churn out high speeds with ease.
- The TOMOLOO V2 Eagle can be connected to its very own app. The app interface lets you customize the LED headlights, view statistics on the road as well as use GPS. This is one of the best hoverboard apps on the market – easy to use and with annoying bugs or unstabilities.
- Features a power-saver setting in the mobile app to cranking out some extra miles when you need it.
- The hoverboard is 8.5 inches of size. Good size for both adults and children.
- Has the ability to climb slopes at up to 30 degrees.
- Geared with bluetooth 4.1 stereo speakers that provides stereo surround sound.
What Makes the V2 Eagle the Best Off Road Hoverboard
- The hoverboard features double protection. It is UL 2272 certified and it has a fire-retardance shell, much like on the newer iPhones. It is safe from overheating thus granting you the safest ride possible.
- The board is very light-weight. It only weighs 29 pounds which means it is lighter than all of its competitors. This increases mobility and makes it very portable.
- Holds up to 265 lbs of weight. This is a lot compared with most other boards.
- The TOMOLOO V2 Eagle has 6.5″ tires with strong road grip. This makes everything feel smooth and safe when riding.
- The board is IPX4 waterproof.
- Speeds of up to 12 Miles per Hour
- Range of up to 12 Miles per charge
- Power-saving setting for longer range
- Extremely Well-built
- Light-weight board
- Durable and safe
- Best price on the market
Well, objectively speaking, we couldn’t find any. This is by far the best off road hoverboard on the market as of now.
2. Halo Rover Off Road Hoverboard for All Terrain Types
Most Important Features
- The hoverboard design places safety as its first priority
It is designed by highly qualified professionals and is secured against all types of abrupt malfunctions and unnecessary heating
- Hold a UL certification for safety
- The Halo Rover hoverbaord is powered by LG batteries which are cleared for all types of potential electrical hazards
- It is an off road hoverboard and can, therefore, be used on all types of terrain including the mud, sand, snow, gravel, and grass. It offers the same efficiency even on wet surfaces
- Offers great stability irrespective of the terrain that it is being used on
- The Halo Rover has 8.8-inch tires which can easily climb over the obstacles strewn along the way so as to give a smooth ride under all conditions
- The hoverboard has an inbuilt stability sensor and shock absorbent tires to keep your ride from getting less bumpy
- It is highly energy efficient and offers a speed of up to 10 miles per hour with one full charge
- Can climb inclinations of up to 20 degrees without losing stability or straining the components
Closer look at the Halo Rover
- The electrical system does get affected by coming in contact with water
- There are three different modes – the normal, advanced and the learning mode. This makes it ideal for amateurs and professionals alike
- There are LED lights at the front as well as the back. These lend a very cool effect while riding and also offer greater visibility in the midst of pedestrians and cyclists
- It has wheels frames made out of top grade aluminum. This gives greater support and durability thus offering a powerful ride all the while.
- The Halo Rover has safety certification against electrical failures.
- The lithium ion batteries used in it are rechargeable and a fully charged battery can offer you a riding time of up to 2 hours at an optimum speed
- It has Bluetooth speakers installed into the body. This can be connected to your hand held device to stream music while on the move
- The hoverboard has its own app which can be used for GPS tracking and controlling the speed, power, and steering.
- The app also allows you to monitor your battery and this feature can come handy especially during long rides so that you do not run out of battery and get stranded on the way
- It comes with its own carrying case
- Offers reliable GPS tracking
- The speed and the steering can be controlled right from the phone
- The battery level indicator allows you to keep constant check on the battery level
- Use premium building materials
- Has a very high safety rating
- The Halo Rover is very easy to clean and maintain
- Not very convenient to carry around
- The Bluetooth used in the off road hoverboard may not be compatible with all handheld devices
3. GT Hover GT8 All-Terrain Off Road Hoverboard
- The off road hoverboard can let you ride at speeds of up to 12 MPH
- Riding at slightly lower speeds can be much more helpful if you would like to preserve the battery for longer journeys
- One full charge gives a coverage of 10 miles
- The batteries use a full charge technology and only take a maximum of two hours to get fully charged
- The hoverboard has wheels that are protected with aluminum braces
- There are LED lights embedded into the body which gives it a better visibility in the low light conditions. The lights can also be used as turning signals
- There are Bluetooth speakers embedded into the body. the speakers can be connected to the Android and iOS phones through Bluetooth which can then be used to directly stream your favorite music while still on the move
- Upon syncing the hoverboard with the GT Rover app, you will also be able to control the power, speed, LED lights and steering straight through your handheld device
- There are multiple riding modes including the normal, advanced and learning mode. This makes the hoverboard ideal for users of all experiences
What makes the Hoverboard so Popular
- It offers the same stability and performance on all terrains. You can incessantly switch it on road and off road without losing the balance
- The GT Hover GT8 uses never flat tires
- It can climb slopes with an inclination of up to 20 degrees
- The off road hoverboard comes together with its own carry case and UL certified batteries and a charger
- The motors are powered by 800 Watts which makes it far more powerful than an average hoverboard
- It holds a UL2272 certification as an assurance of safety standards
- The GT Hover GT8 meets the IPX4 standards for water resistance
- The hoverboard has been put to various tests including the overcharged test, over discharged test, imbalanced charging test, dielectric voltage test, circuit test, isolation resistance test, motor overload test, strain test, thermal cycling test, mold stress test, temperature test, flame resistance test, shock test, vibration test, crash test and drop test.
- It comes with a 1-year manufacturer’ warranty
- It can be used both on road and off road
- Can be used during the rain
- Self-balancing, no fall technology
- Highest speed limit of 12 MPH
- Highly durable
- Inbuilt Bluetooth speakers
- Never flat tires
- Carries a hefty price tag
4. EPIKGO Sport Plus High Speed On- & Off-Road Hoverboard
- Epikgo Sport Plus has an edge over other hoverboards as it features both the innovative new features as well as inherit the highly rated features from its predecessors
The EPIKGO Sport Plus places a focus on both the design as well as the performance, hence, it looks sleek and stylish while also giving a powerful performance
- Being made out of premium quality materials, the board gives a good lasting. This off road hoverboard is scratch proof, water as well as heat resistant.
- The off road hoverboard has been subjected to all the 159 tests as per the safety regulations of the government.
- It has a UL2272 certification which provides assurance against any potential electrical or nonelectrical hazards. It also has an IP56 certification for water resistance.
- The batteries use a fast charge technology as only take as little as an hour to get fully charged
- The hoverboard is semi submergible meaning that the electrical components do not get damaged when the board comes in direct contact with water. The water proof body allows the board to be used in all weather conditions including the sun and the rain.
- This off road hoverboard has been put to several tests to determine its negative impacts upon the environment. The model is very much eco-friendly as compared to various other models in the market and the threat posed to the environment is minimum
What makes the EPIKGO Sport Plus so Great
- Both the batteries as well as the charger are UL protected. The batteries are wrapped up in multiple protective layers so as to prevent contact with elements that could possibly lend damage
- The batteries get automatically cut off from the power source on reaching full charge. This protects the battery against any damage due to overcharging
- The battery level in the hoverboard is displayed through an LED indicator. Along with this, the rise and fall in the voltage are also closely monitored.
- The hoverboard can take a maximum weight of 200 lbs but it can also provide a good stability with weight as little as 40 lbs.
- While an average hoverboard is powered by 200 Watts, the EPIKGO Sport Plus is powered by 400 Watts. Hence, they are also able to offer twice the powerful motors which can easily climb over the obstacles, thus giving superior balance.
- The off road hoverboard has an enhanced power backing feature. Due to this efficient power retention, the hoverboard becomes more functional during longer journeys.
- The hoverboard uses polycarbonate as its body casing. This makes it quite sturdy and well protected against scratches and physical stress
- It has a highly upgraded gear attachment
- The hoverboard can make uphill climb in slopes with an inclination of up to 30 degrees
- Offers a maximum speed of 12 MPH
- Have Bluetooth speakers installed into it
- It has 8.5-inch streamlined wheels
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- The wheels offer great traction and grip
- The batteries have good power retention
- It can be used on all types of terrain and weather conditions
- The EPIKGO Sport Plus is highly water resistant
- It can do steep uphill climbs
- Has fast charging batteries
- The speed is not adjustable. This might be an inconvenience especially to the inexperienced riders
5. EPIKGO Classic Off Road Hoverboard for all Surface Types
- Can carry a maximum weight of 240 lbs
- Has a highly powerful 400 Watt motor that allows uphill rides without putting an unnecessary strain on the motors. This makes it 80 per cent more functional than an average hoverboard
- It can be used on all types of terrain
- Holds a UL2272 and IP54 certification. This hoverboard is also approved of all the stringent military tests
- Has an IP56 certification for waterproofing
- The EPIKGO Classic has a highly water proof body which makes it possible to be used in rainy weather without damaging the electrical circuits
- Have 8.5-inch wheels with solid rubber tires
- Offers a maximum speed of 10 MPH
- It has a great aesthetic appeal and comes in an exciting color palette. This greatly increases the thrill of riding
- Uses a fast charge technology and takes only 1 hour to get fully charged
- The EPIKGO Classic has bright LED lights embedded into the body giving it a very cool and futuristic effect
- Comes with a limited warranty of one year
- Enhanced with steel wheel covers
- ABS base cover to increase the strength and sturdiness of the base
- Features LED lights which not only increase the aesthetic appeal but also increase the safety while riding
- The wheels are housed inside the board which offers the off road hoverboard greater balance and stability as compared to an average hoverboard
- One full charge can last you 1 hour upon going at a full speed
- Has a very high safety rating
- Has a self-balancing feature. The hoverboard senses your weight and balances itself irrespective of your experience level
- Semi submersible
- Uses premium quality building materials. The components are very tough as well as durable
- Large wheels which can displace the center of gravity, thus making it a little more difficult to maintain a steady balance
- Not very ideal for learners and amateurs
- With a weight of 30 lbs, it is quite heavy and not very convenient to carry around
- No battery level indicator.
6. SWAGTRON T6 Off Road Hoverboard for All Terrain Types
- SWAGTRON is among the first brands to have received the UL certification for safety. They also include the Sentry Shield battery casing system into all their products. This protects the batteries against overheating and all types of electrical hazards
It has two 10 inch inflatable tires with a very good traction. These anti slip tires offer high efficiency on all road conditions, even over the wet surfaces. The large tires make the ride less bumpy when used off road
- The tires are made out of rubber and they come with a tread pattern with staggered shoulder blocks
- The heavy duty tires and the highly durable frame makes it possible for the off road hoverboard to make uphill climbs
- They can easily tackle and inclination of up to 30 degrees where most hoverboards can only take 20 degrees
- It has a very high weight capacity of 400 lbs. this is the recommended weight limit. However, they can also work perfectly well with up to 420 lbs
- The body casing is highly water resistant. No components are damaged even when used during the rains
Closer look at the Board
- It can offer the highest speed of up to 12 miles per hour
- A full charge will offer a coverage of 12 miles
- It has Bluetooth speakers which can be connected to android and iOS for music streaming
- The SWAGTRON T6 has a tough body made out of poly carbonate and can, therefore, offer high resistance against scratches and fire
- It has an appealing design with matte finish and comes in an attractive range of colors
- The SWAGTRON T6 has an improved motor stabilization
- Wheels are made out of milled aluminum
- Comes with a carry strap
- Has a battery level indicator
- Have LED lights embedded into it
- Allows you to make sharp turns
- The SWAGTRON T6 is very safe for the starters
- It features built in speakers
- The hoverboard comes with adjustable user settings
- The board can be used both on road and off road
- The wheel guards have no additional protection except for the paint
- The wheels are very stiff
- As the battery level decreases, it can affect the stability
Best Off Road Hoverboard 2018 – TOMOLOO V2 Eagle
Out of the above six reviews, we consider the TOMOLOO V2 Eagle to be the best off road hoverboard.
The board is extremely well built. It is packed with strength and all the components are very durable. It is the perfect solution if you wanna purchase a high-end hoverboard and still get a lot for your money. The TOMOLOO V2 Eagle has many times been referred to as the best off road hoverboard by reputable sources in the niche.
The TOMOLOO V2 Eagle hoverboard is one of the safest solutions on the market. It is UL certified and even features additional protection. The board has very good power retention and comes at a very fair price. It most closely compares to the Halo Rover which is a more expensive model.
With the Eagle, you save yourself lots of money while still getting the best of the best. On top of that, the smartphone app for the TOMOLOO V2 Eagle also beats the competitors’ apps by miles. So to conclude, the best off road hoverboard for all types of terrain in 2018 is the TOMOLOO V2 Eagle. You can purchase it at the lowest price by going to Amazon with the link below.